• Home
  • |
  • Blog
  • |
  • Delaware Driver’s License Classifications (A Complete 2023 Guide)

DrivingSchoolExpress is partnered with the best online traffic and driver’s ed schools. When you sign up using our links, we may get a small affiliate commission. Read how we conduct our reviews here

Do you need to figure out what type of driver’s license you need in Delaware?

If so, then you’ve come to the right place. 

There are different license classifications that depend on the vehicle you drive, the intent, and your age. 

If you’re unfamiliar with these, then it might be a bit confusing for you. This is why we’ve compiled a complete guide on Delaware driver’s license classifications. 

Not only that, but we’ll also explain the requirements for each license type. 

So are you ready? Let’s begin! 

The Types of Driver’s License Classifications in Delaware

There are 2 main types of driver’s license in Delaware:

  • Non-commercial driver’s license
  • Commercial driver’s license

Let’s take a close look at each of these. 

Non-commercial Driver’s License

This license type comes in two classes:

  • Class D
  • Class D with M endorsement

Class D

The Class D license is the standard driver’s license in Delaware. This license allows drivers to operate vehicles with GVWR of 26,000 pounds or less, including:

  • Passenger cars (for less than 16 passengers)
  • Utility vehicles
  • Pickup trucks
  • Station wagons
  • Panel trucks

What are the requirements to get a Class D license?

The basic ones are:

  • Be at least 18 years old
  • Be a bona fide Delaware resident
  • Be physically and mentally capable to drive on the road

As for exams, you must pass a Class D knowledge exam and road exam (minimum ten days after knowledge test).

If you’re under 18, you can get hold of instruction permits to operate a standard non-commercial vehicle following Delaware’s Graduated Driver License (GDL) program. 

This program was designed to lower the high fatality and accident rate of young Delaware drivers.  Drivers under the 12-month GDL program are expected to be supervised at all times. A signatory parent or sponsor capable of increased driving authority is also required.

Class D With M Endorsement

If you plan to drive a motorbike, motorcycle, or any two to three-wheeled motor-driven vehicles on the highway, then you’ll need to get an M (motorcycle) endorsement. 

To do that, you first need to study the Delaware Motorcycle Manual. It will cover:

  • General motorcycle knowledge 
  • Guidance
  • Preparation

You will also need to:

Note: Motorists who take the three-wheel exams only will have a restriction placed on their license.

Commercial Driver’s License

There are three classes of commercial driver’s license (CDL) in Delaware, all these according to gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR):

  • CDL Class A: over 26,000 pounds and is towing a vehicle over 10,000 pounds
  • CDL Class B: over 26,000 pounds and not towing a vehicle over 10,000 pounds
  • CDL Class C: under 26,000 pounds, where the vehicle is designed for transportation of 16 or more persons OR for carrying HAZMAT

Note: You may also apply for a non-CDL class A or class B license for operations in a farm, firefighting, or for emergency vehicles.

Depending on your job description, you will need to apply for these CDL endorsements:

  • H: Hazardous Material
  • N: Tank Vehicle
  • P: Passenger Class A, B and C
  • T: Doubles and Triples
  • X: Tank and Hazmat
  • S: School Bus

Just like the Class D license, you’ll also need to get a commercial learner’s permit (CLP). 

CLP license holders are only allowed to drive the vehicle specified on their CPL. They are to be accompanied by a licensed CDL driver at all times when operating a commercial motor vehicle.

A CLP is valid for six months. If you do not pass your knowledge test within that period, you need to pay an additional fee to extend its validity.

To apply for your actual CDL, you need to pass the following exams within six months:

  • CDL Knowledge Test: Minimum requirement is the General Knowledge test. Depending on your class or endorsement, you may need additional testing. 
  • CDL Skills Test: To become eligible for the CDL skills exam, you must have held your CLP for a minimum of 14 days. 

For scheduling road skills and knowledge tests, follow these steps:

Visit the My Road Test Scheduler on the DE DMV Online Sevices or by calling your local DMV office:

  • Delaware City – 302-832-5176
  • Dover – 302-744-2515
  • Georgetown – 302-853-1003
  • Wilmington – 302-434-3220

Note: Obtain a copy of the Commercial Driver’s manual to familiarize yourself with a complete guide of CDL basic knowledge, requirements, procedures, and testing requirements.

Delaware Driver’s License Classifications FAQs

In this section, let’s answer the most frequently asked questions about license classifications in Delaware. 

What class is a regular driver’s license in Delaware

The regular driver’s license in Delaware is the Class D license. 

This is a non-commercial license that people hold to, say, drive to work, school, malls, etc… It’s the license that most people in Delaware use. 

What is a class C license in Delaware?

The class C license is the lowest of the commercial driver’s licenses in Delaware. 

With this license class, you can operate vehicles under 26,000 pounds, where the vehicle is designed for transportation of 16 or more persons OR for carrying HAZMAT.

So if that falls under your driving description, then this is the license class you should get. 

What are the five classes of licenses in Delaware?

The 5 classes of licenses in Delaware are:

  • Class D – the basic driver’s license that most people use to drive personal vehicles around
  • Class D with M endorsement – the same as the Class D license, except this time you can drive any two or three-wheeled motor driver vehicle, too. 
  • Class A – a license that allows the holder to drive a vehicle over 26,0000lbs or more, and two a vehicle over 10,000lbs
  • Class B – The same as Class A, except the towing vehicle should NOT be over 10,000lbs
  • Class C – allows the holder to drive vehicles under 26,0000lbs that are used for passenger transportation or crying hazardous materials. 


Have you figured out the license type you need?

If so, you can start by checking out our basic requirements and start from there. 

Before grabbing your keys, make sure that you can apply for a license under the Delaware DMV guidelines. Also, when getting a DE license, remember to keep in mind the intended purpose of your license, age, and any special considerations that might apply to you.

We hope this article on Delaware driver’s license classifications has been helpful for you! 

Good luck and drive safe!

Related Posts

Are you looking to get a license in New Mexico? If so, then it’s a good idea to familiarize yourself with the driver’s license classifications in the state.  I mean, what license type should you get? Here, we’re going to give you a complete guide on New Mexico driver’s license

Read More

In New Hampshire, your driver’s license is classified according to the type of motor vehicle you intend to operate.  This means that you CAN’T just drive any vehicle with any driver’s license.  You need to get the right one.  If you’re confused about the license types and requirements, we’ve got

Read More

Driver’s licenses aren’t created equal.  Just because you have one doesn’t mean you can drive any vehicle.  And, in North Carolina, the classifications are a bit more confusing than in other states. This is because there are 2 sets of classes with the same name. For example, there is a

Read More

In Texas, the driver’s license classifications can be a bit confusing.  This is because there are two sets with the same name. For example, you can either get a Non-commercial Class A or a commercial Class A license.  What’s the difference between the two? With our Texas driver’s license classifications

Read More
{"email":"Email address invalid","url":"Website address invalid","required":"Required field missing"}