• Home
  • |
  • Blog
  • |
  • Oklahoma Driver’s License Classifications (A Complete 2023 Guide)

DrivingSchoolExpress is partnered with the best online traffic and driver’s ed schools. When you sign up using our links, we may get a small affiliate commission. Read how we conduct our reviews here

Driver’s license classifications vary per state. 

In Oklahoma, the license classes are pretty easy to remember. 

But what are the Oklahoma driver’s license classifications?

Today, we’re going to give you a complete guide. 

We’ll talk about the difference between each class, the requirements, and even add an FAQ section. 

So let’s get started! 

Driver’s License Classes in Oklahoma

The state of Oklahoma has 5 license classes, namely:

  • Class A Commercial

A Class A commercial license permits the holder to operate any combination of vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 pounds or more. The GVWR of the vehicle being towed should be over 10,000 pounds. 

  • Class B Commercial

A Class B commercial license permits the holder to operate any vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more, provided the GVWR of the towed vehicle does not exceed 10,000 pounds. 

  • Class C Commercial

A Class C commercial license permits the holder to operate any single vehicle designed to transport hazardous materials or carry 16 or more passengers. 

  • Class D Regular

A Class D regular license permits the holder to operate non-commercial vehicles with a GVWR equal to or fewer than 26,001 pounds, including common cars, recreational vehicles, trucks, and fire trucks.    

  • Class M

A Class M license permits the holder to operate motorcycles on public roads. 

Obtaining a Class D License in Oklahoma

Class D is the most common license class in Oklahoma. 

If you apply for this license between 15 and a half and 18 years old, you must first obtain a learner’s permit through the state’s Graduated Driving Licensing System. You may drive between 5 AM and 10 PM with the permit so long as you are supervised by a licensed adult. 

If you are under 16 and a half years old, you also need to complete a driver’s education course from an approved provider.

Once you have completed the requirements, you can apply at a driver’s license exam site. Click here to find the exam site nearest to you. 

If you want to save time, you can book your appointment online

You must bring the following requirements on the day of your application:

  • A primary ID (e.g. birth certificate)
  • A secondary ID (e.g. social security card)
  • Social Security number 
  • Letter from Oklahoma school that you meet enrollment and attendance requirements
  • Completion certificate of driver education course

In addition, you need to pass a vision test and a written knowledge test. Upon passing both exams, you must go to a Motor License or Tag agent where you need to submit the form confirming that you passed the tests, as well as a primary and secondary ID. 

The fee is $4 for every exam attempt. The permit fee costs $38.50.

If you are under 18 years old, you will need to hold the learner’s permit for at least six months. As for 18 years old or over, you just need to hold it for 30 days.

Once you have held your permit for at least six months, you will be eligible to apply for an intermediate license. 

If you have already taken a mandatory driver’s ed, and have logged at least 50 hours of in-car training, you can proceed with scheduling an appointment for your road test. 

On the day of your road test, you must bring the following:

  • Learner’s permit
  • Secondary ID
  • Social Security Number
  • Certificate of Completion of Driver Education
  • Insurance Security Verification Form
  • Your parent or guardian
  • A vehicle in good order

Upon passing the road test, go to a tag agency to purchase your license. 

You will be eligible for an unrestricted Class D driver’s license once you have held your intermediate license for at least six months, or when you turn 18, provided you have no traffic convictions on your record. Simply contact or visit a tag agency near you to upgrade your license. 

Obtaining a Commercial Driver’s License in Oklahoma

To apply for a Class A, B, or C commercial license in Oklahoma, you must first satisfy the following requirements:

  • Possess a valid non-commercial Oklahoma license. 
  • Provide proof of legal presence in the US (proof of citizenship or permanent resident status and proof of Oklahoma residency).
  • Secure a Commercial Learner’s Permit (CLP) by visiting your local Oklahoma DPS office and submitting the required documents, which include your valid license, proof of US and Oklahoma residency, medical documents, and relevant fees. 
  • Hold your CLP for at least 14 days before applying for a CDL. 
  • Take a road test by scheduling an appointment via hotline – (405) 425-2196.

Below are the fees for each commercial license class in OK:

Item Class A Class B Class C
Application fee $25 $15 $15
License fee $56.50 $56.50 $46.50

The retest fee costs $4, while the CDL replacement fee is $25.

Oklahoma Driver’s License Classifications FAQs

Can I take an online driver’s ed school in Oklahoma?

Yes. The state of Oklahoma authorizes online driver’s ed.

What is the best online driver’s ed school in Oklahoma?

Aceable is the best online driver’s ed school in Oklahoma. It has been around for less than a decade and is relatively new in the industry, but it has established quite a solid reputation in the previous years. 

Oklahoma Driver's License Classifications Aceable

Aceable is best known for its fun, entertaining, and highly interactive coursework with bite-sized content that is easily digestible. Its mobile-first technology allows you to study conveniently on your iPad or smartphone. The school also has thousands of 5-star reviews, which prove how previous students loved their learning experience with Aceable.   

How often do I renew my driver’s license in Oklahoma?

Your Oklahoma driver’s license will expire every four years. 

How do I renew my driver’s license in Oklahoma?

You may renew your Oklahoma driver’s license in person or by mail. 

To renew your license in person, go to a Tag agent near you, provide a primary and a secondary ID, have your picture taken, and pay the $38.50 license fee. 

To renew by mail, send the required information (name, date of birth, license number, address, primary, and secondary ID, and the $38.50 payment) to the below address:

Department of Public Safety

Driver License Services, Renewal by Mail

PO Box 11415

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73136


Now that you know the Oklahoma driver’s license classifications, it is important to pick out the one you need and follow the requirements for it. 

We hope that this guide has helped you understand the license classifications in Oklahoma!

Related Posts

Are you looking to get a license in New Mexico? If so, then it’s a good idea to familiarize yourself with the driver’s license classifications in the state.  I mean, what license type should you get? Here, we’re going to give you a complete guide on New Mexico driver’s license

Read More

In New Hampshire, your driver’s license is classified according to the type of motor vehicle you intend to operate.  This means that you CAN’T just drive any vehicle with any driver’s license.  You need to get the right one.  If you’re confused about the license types and requirements, we’ve got

Read More

Driver’s licenses aren’t created equal.  Just because you have one doesn’t mean you can drive any vehicle.  And, in North Carolina, the classifications are a bit more confusing than in other states. This is because there are 2 sets of classes with the same name. For example, there is a

Read More

In Texas, the driver’s license classifications can be a bit confusing.  This is because there are two sets with the same name. For example, you can either get a Non-commercial Class A or a commercial Class A license.  What’s the difference between the two? With our Texas driver’s license classifications

Read More
{"email":"Email address invalid","url":"Website address invalid","required":"Required field missing"}