Looking for a trucking school in Arizona?
We’ve got you covered!
Here, we’re going to review the 6 best trucking schools in Arizona.
We made sure to pick the schools that are FMCSA-approved.
Moreover, we picked schools located in several cities, as well as those in smaller cities.
This way, you’re sure to find one that’s near you.
So let’s get started!
The 6 Best Trucking Schools in Arizona (Private)
Here are the top 6 best trucking schools in Arizona:
- 160 Driving Academy
- Phoenix Truck Driving Institute
- Southwest Truck Driver Training
- HDS Truck Driving Institute
- Roadmaster Drivers School
- Yuma Truck Driving School
Now let’s get reviewing!
5815 E Speedway Blvd, Tucson, AZ 85712
7448 W Glendale Ave Suite C132, Glendale, AZ 85303
160 Driving Academy is one of the biggest trucking schools in the US.
It has locations all over the country — with 2 right here in Arizona.
If you’re from Tucson, Glendale, or the surrounding areas, you’re in luck.
But what makes 160 Driving Academy so special?
The biggest stand out is its name.
Since it’s so popular (and known to produce only high-quality truck drivers), a lot of Fortune 500 companies are looking to hire their graduates.
This can only mean that, if you train there, your name will be in high demand among trucking firms.
You’ll be able to find great job opportunities that can give you lots of rewards — and not just high pay.
The reason why 160 Driving Academy trains so well is that it has instructors who care.
And this is the key to having a great training experience.
Other benefits of 160 Driving Academy include:
- Job placement assistance
- Offers low-cost tuition and even financial assistance
- Has a high graduation rate
2621 S. 51st Ave, Phoenix, AZ 85043
If you’re looking for a local trucking school, then Phoenix Truck Driving Institute is a top choice.
It’s one of the larger trucking schools in Arizona.
Sure, it’s located in Phoenix…
However, it partnered with Coconino Community College and Mohave Community College to provide quality truck training in the cities of Flagstaff and Kingman, respectively.
The school has perfected its training program over the many years of teaching.
The programs walk you through everything from theory to hands-on practical training.
Plus, the instructors were all actual truck drivers. You’ll be able to learn from real-world experiences.
Don’t want any restrictions on your commercial driver’s license?
The Phoenix Truck Driving Institute can help you with that.
Here, you get to train with manual transmissions to avoid the E restriction.
Moreover, you’ll be taught about air brakes.
This way, you can pass that portion of the CDL test and avoid getting the L restriction.
Do you have a busy schedule?
The Phoenix Truck Driving Institute allows you to attend day, evening, or weekend classes.
And when you graduate?
The school will help you with job placement.
Additional benefits include:
- Offers financial support
- Local and nationwide placement opportunities
- Has third-party road testing
2323 South 51st Ave, Phoenix, AZ 85043
1230 W Glenn St, Tucson, AZ 85705
The Southwest Truck Driver Training School has two locations in Arizona.
It’s a great choice if you’re looking for a more personalized training experience.
This is because the school offers 1-on-1 training.
This means that your instructor can fully focus on your needs.
Its 4 to 5-week training goes over all the theory and practical training you’ll need to ace the CDL test (as well as your new career).
Another stand-out is that the school offers additional endorsement training — Hazmat and Passenger.
So if you need those endorsements, then this is the school to go to.
And yes, rest assured you’ll be training in only the best equipment.
You can even choose to train with a manual or automatic transmission.
Here are more benefits:
- Offers financial aid
- Lifetime job placement
- Is an independent trucking school that works for YOU
6251 S Wilmot Rd, Tucson, AZ 85756
HDS Truck Driving Institute is one of the older schools on the list — it has been operating for 30 years now.
And that is a testament to its quality and experience.
Here, you get a quick 4-week program that combines interactive classroom, yard, and on-the-road training.
Its senior instructors come with 20+ years of experience.
This allows you to learn tips and tricks you wouldn’t learn anywhere else.
HDS’s excellent training has led them to be trusted by trucking firms.
So you’ll be guaranteed to score a high-paying, high-benefit job after you graduate.
It even has a pre-hire opportunity.
A job will already be waiting for you while you work on your commercial driver’s license.
What’s more, you get to train for the Hazmat, tanker, and double/triple endorsements.
Some other benefits include:
- Great facilities
- Financing support
- Flexible schedules
2350 S 48th Ave, Phoenix, AZ 85043
(602) 233-2222 OR (800) 831-1300
Here’s another nationwide trucking school.
The Roadmaster Drivers School is a name known throughout the US, with campuses dotted across multiple states.
This gives Roadmaster an edge when it comes to nationwide placements.
Many of its graduates have gone on to serve in logistics firms all over the country.
This makes it a great choice for aspiring truckers who are looking to work interstate.
And Roadmaster helps you every step of the way.
Besides the basic classroom and hands-on training, you’ll also learn map reading, trip planning, and compliance with state laws.
That’s not all!
You’ll learn advanced truck driving techniques, too, such as skidding avoidance and recovery.
This is the school to go to if you want to learn all these small (but super helpful) skills.
Some other benefits include:
- Modern fleet of trucks with automatic transmission
- Excellent facilities
- Instructors that are there for you from start to finish
3180 E 32nd St, Yuma, AZ 85365
Yes, there are FMCSA-approved trucking schools in smaller cities too.
And one of that is the Yuma Truck Driving School located in, well, Yuma, AZ.
This school aims to give each student more customization through smaller class sizes.
This allows the excellent team of instructors to give you better individual focus.
In turn, this helps you polish up your skills in time for the CDL test.
Learning is also made easy.
You can choose day or evening classes — whichever is more convenient for you.
Yuma Truck Driving School also partners with local firms to offer graduates paid externships.
This can turn into a full-time job right after graduation.
You’ll also love the friendly atmosphere the school has cultivated.
This makes for an overall better learning experience.
Other things you’ll like about Yuma Truck Driving School are:
- Support for the GI Bill
- Financing assistance
- Has a 4-week or 8-week program
Best Free Company-Sponsored Trucking Schools
What if you can’t afford a private trucking school?
Then there are always company-sponsored schools to save the day!
These schools are operated by nationwide logistic firms.
The firms provide FREE training to candidates who’ll work with them once they graduate.
Here are some of the best picks:
Knights Transportation is one of the leading nationwide logistic firms in the US.
The great news is that it has a training facility right here in Phoenix, Arizona!
That makes it far easier to attend.
You won’t have to travel out of state to avail of their free training.
Plus, even if a commute is involved, Knight Transport will cover all the costs to reach their facility.
They also pay students to train each week!
Some other benefits you’ll get to enjoy are:
- 401k Insurance
- A friendly working environment
- Interest-free repayment plans
- Vacation pay and home time
- Age requirement: at least 21 years old.
- DWI/DUI convictions: None within the last 10 years.
- Drug/Substance Test: No drug use, positive tests, or refusals within the last 10 years.
- Moving Violations: No more than 2 moving violations within the last 2 years. No serious traffic violations in the last 6 months. No citations for driving while suspended, disqualified, or expired in the past 6 months.
- License: Must hold a valid license in the current state of residence.
- Accidents: No more than 1 minor preventable accident (loss over $1750.00) in the last 3 years. No major accidents (loss of over $25,000) in the last 5 years.
- Employment: No terminations from the last employer due to a poor safety record or from more than 1 employer in 5 years due to a poor safety record or theft. No more than 4 commercial driving jobs in the last 12 months and no more than 4 jobs in the last 3 years.
- Felonies: None in the past 7 years. No multiple felonies.
- Physical Condition: Must be capable of performing essential job functions, including loading and unloading freight. Must meet all Department of Transportation (DOT) and Agility Requirements as certified by a company-selected examination facility.
Here is a sister company of Knight Transport.
Being accepted into the Swift Transportation program will allow you to avail the Phoenix, Arizona training facilities.
Much like Knight, they offer a sweet deal, paying aspirants to attend and offering great benefits to employees such as:
- 401k plans
- Medical insurance
- Vacation pay and home time
- The minimum age requirement is 23 years old (21 if you have military experience).
- No DWI or DUI convictions
- No reckless driving convictions within the past three years.
- No more than one moving violation within the past year and no more than three within the past three years.
- No major preventable accidents in the past twelve months or more than two in the past five years.
- No more than one driver’s license suspension within the past three years.
- Successful completion of the Workwell Physical Assessment, a DOT physical, and DOT-controlled substance and alcohol testing.
- Completion of a conviction form for all misdemeanor or felony convictions.
So there you have it — all the best trucking schools in Arizona.
You can go ahead and pick the school that suits YOUR needs and preferences best.
But whichever you pick, rest assured that it’s all FMCSA-approved, offers quality training, is located in Arizona, and will give you lots of benefits.