Want to become a truck driver, but don’t know where to start?
Well, it all starts with a trucking school.
The only problem now is…
Because if you’re from Columbus, you’ll find that you actually have plenty options. There are plenty of places you can get your CDL around here.
That’s why we’ve done the research, and come up with our list of the best trucking schools in Columbus, Ohio.
So without further adieu, let’s dive in!
Our Picks for Great Trucking Schools in Columbus
Roadmasters Drivers School proudly boasts over 160,000 graduates after being in operation for more than 30 years.
They are a member of the Ohio Trucking Association and are recognized by the Department of Public Safety and the Governor’s Highway Safety Office.
Aside from comprehensive Class A CDL training from their expert instructors, they also offer other services, which set them apart from their competitors. These perks and services include:
- Spacious classrooms and computer labs specifically designed to train students in field-driving courses
- Late-model tractor-trailers exclusively used for student training
- On-site testing
- Career Services to help get your career started with a job that suits you most with the possibility of tuition reimbursements
- Financial assistance for those that qualify to receive it
Roadmaster Drivers School is located at 977 Frank Road in Columbus, Ohio.
Their toll-free hotline is (800) 831-1300, while a 360-degree virtual tour of their campus can be accessed through their official website.
160 Driving School got its name because it only takes 160 combined hours of classroom instruction and behind-the-wheel experience to get a certification from them.
In that relatively short amount of time, they claim that you’ll be able to learn everything that you need to know to pass your CDL exam.
Like the other schools on this list, 160 Driving School also has its unique set of perks that would hopefully persuade you to enroll with them.
- Programs can cost as little as $250, which is a great starting price, especially for those looking for their first-ever trucking job
- 120 hours of experience behind the wheel of the trucks you would use when you get a job after graduating
- Driving courses bring you through local streets, highways, and interstates with help from certified instructors
- 40 hours of classroom experience to teach all that’s needed to pass your CDL exams
- Their graduates have a high starting salary averaging at around $47,130 every year with zero training-related debt
- Drivers who take special courses that allow them to be endorsed from special cargo such as HazMat or double and triple trailers can make over $100,000 annually
The Columbus branch of 160 Driving Academy is located at 1156 Alum Creek Drive and they are open from 8 AM to 4:30 PM on weekdays.
Their contact number is (614) 285-3307.
Being linked to one of the biggest educational institutions in Ohio gives graduates from this truck driving school the opportunity to work with some of the largest carriers across America.
Ohio Business College has past students who have gone on to work for companies such as Maverick, Sewell, Averitt, and Schneider.
Not only will they give you the tools necessary to pass your CDL examination, but the truck driving school at Ohio Business College also has a whole lot more to offer.
- A dedicated Career Services team that will help you find the right fit in your job search right after graduation
- An extensive alumni network, which is one of the farthest-reaching among the trucking driving schools not only in Ohio but in the whole United States
- Regular events that host some of the largest recruiters in the country, which makes finding a job that much easier
- Weekend classes are available, which would allow you to get your certification over 10 weekends if you are busy from Monday to Friday
The Columbus Campus is at 1170 Refugee Lane.
Their contact number is 614-603-0130.
The Capital Transportation Academy is one of the most well-known truck driving schools in Ohio because of its over 90% graduation rate.
It is registered with the State of Ohio Department of Public Safety School as well as the Ohio State Board of Career Colleges and Schools.
Since April 2019, Capital Transportation Academy has also been a proud member of the Ohio-Michigan Association of Career Colleges and Schools.
As this school is one of the most recognized in the state, it comes as no surprise that it also offers things that set it apart from its competition.
- They have small classrooms with a lot of personal interactions between the students and their experienced instructors.
- They claim that with no prior experience, their graduates have been making upwards of $45,000 just a month after graduating.
- Their recruitment team maps out an individualized plan for employment based on your strengths and interests.
- They offer customized CDL instruction based on the needs of different businesses.
- Class A CDL training allows those who complete this training to operate semi-trailers or trailers with two or more axles in most states.
Capital Transport Academy can be found at 1170 North Cassady Avenue, Columbus, Ohio.
They can be contacted through the phone at 614-258-0400.
What You’ll Learn in Truck Driving School
In the classroom, you will learn about:
- Basic mechanical systems and truck components
- Map reading and trip planning
- Logbook protocols
- The proper way to perform pre- and post-trip inspections
- Federal regulations as well as state and local laws on commercial truck driving
On the road, meanwhile, you get to learn practical skills including:
- How to operate different kinds of vehicles
- Coupling and uncoupling a tractor to the trailer
- How to drive on different terrains such as rural roads, city streets, and on highways
Start Your Truck Driving Journey Today!
Truck driving is looking more and more likely to be a lucrative profession in the next couple of years.
You won’t go wrong with choosing any of the driving schools mentioned above.
Look at what each school has to offer and choose the one that seems like the best fit for you.